Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Inferring with 'The Climb'

I love the song 'The Climb' by Miley Cyrus and it was perfect for a lesson on making inferences with my 3rd graders! I played the song for them and just had them close their eyes and think about the words. Afterward, I passed out the lyrics and I modeled from the first stanza how I made meaning / inferred what Miley is singing about. My model was super short because my students caught on quick and they were highly engaged with turn and talks about the song - it was inferring heaven! My students got a good hold of what it is to infer and had fun doing it! Later on walking to lunch they were all singing the climb quietly - too cute!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE it!!! Awesome idea, thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this! I saw this song suggested on another site and was unsure how it would go over. Just did it today with my 4th graders. Most of the students go into it and really listened to the words. I of course had the few boys that could not handle that it was Miley Cyrus! Regardless, thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this song. I can't wait to use your idea in my 3rd grade classroom. I am your newest follower. Please check out my blog and become a follower too!
    Darleen
    Third Grade Love
    http://thirdgradelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just awarded you with the One Lovely Blog Award! Check out my blog for more details.
    Darleen
    Third Grade Love

    ReplyDelete